Yay! I finally here. Nothing could hold me back, not even a missing visa and passport. When I finally recieved my passport and visa I left the next morning catching an early flight to Sao Paulo. It was a lot of just waiting around amd when I was finally on the plane leaving, There was a lot of sitting. The flight was 8 hrs long. I watched two movies "Mr.Popper's Penguins" and "Monte Carlo". I slept for a bit but it wasn't a good sleep because I could get comfortable in the small space. I also read my portuguese book trying to study as much as I can not that it was helpful but it gave me something to do. When I finally arrived late at night I was met by Jessica my chapter president. We ate and then waited for the shuttle to the hotel we were going to stay at for the night. We slept then woke up at 6:30 in the morning and took a bus all the way to Palmital. It was a long bus ride. We both slept for the first half of thw ride and then afterwards we talked for a bit while we waited for the bus to arrive in Palmital. When I finally got there and met my family, it was such a whirl wind. Everything happened so fast. I got kisses from everyone and introduced and there were pictures. When that was over, they took me inside and showed me my room that I would share with my younger sister Flavia. My mom helped me unpack and then we all went to the kitchen to eat. It was sort of ackward because they tried to talk to me and I totally didn't understand nor could I respond. My family consists of my dad Julio, mom Cristina, older sister Bia (22), Nefew Marco (5), and younger sister Flavia (15). My house is on a small street kind of on the outside of the city. All the houses are open and yet closed. What do I mean by this? I mean that the windows and doors are all open. No screens. But the houses all have gates that enclose the house. It's very different than what I am use to. Pictures to come soon.
I started school on Tuesday. I was suppose to start Monday but I was so tired and jetlagged that my host mom let me stay home. School is way different than in the U.S. Each day the subjects are different and so is the schedule. The teachers switch classes instead of the students. School is also very hard becasue I don't understand anything that the teachers are saying. I can guess at math, physics and chemisrty but everything else is hard. I hope it gets better soon. Carnaval is this weekend and I have my Brazil survival course as well. If all goes well, we might have the kids from all over the state in AFS come and then we would all go to Carnaval together. I have made lots of friends but it´s hard to talk to them because my Portuguese is still really bad. They also talk to me all at once so it´s kinda confusing on who I should talk to. Everyone is really nice and lets me look of their book since I don´t have any yet for school. I also have to ride a bike to school because their are no school buses. Everyone here either rides a bike or a small motorcycle. Most people who do own cars, drive small cars. It´s also really hot. Even in the winter it doesn´t get lower than 40 or 50 degrees F. right now it´s summer here so every day its hot. Ahhh. I hope it starts to cool down. And that has been my life for the past few days. ;)
Cori
No comments:
Post a Comment