May 17, 2012

3 months already?

So I'm a little late but my three month mark for living in Brazil was May 12th. I also understand why it's so difficult to update blogs. You just don't have time, but I can't believe how fast time is going. I'm already a quarter through my program. And what a better way to celebrate than going dancing! Because Palmital is so small, Dub's Disco Club is the place to go and hang out with friends and to go dancing on the weekends. Each week there is a new band that comes and plays. No it's not disco music like you think. Disco clubs are what Brazilians call dance clubs. They play all sorts of music. This weekend there was a rock band playing so my older sister Bia invited me to go with her and her friends. It turned out to be great and I got to meet new people as well as see some of my friends as well. I've been to Dub's two other times and only stayed on the floor where it's packed with people but this time we bought tickets to go to the camarote. The Camarote is this balcony above the floor and it's less crowded and there are more places to sit and enjoy the music if you don't want to dance. It cost a little more but it was cool and I really enjoyed it and getting a chance to hang out with my sister. We have gotten very close but she is always working or going to college so I don't get to see her that often. It was a Saturday to remember for sure.

The following day was Sunday, of course, and it also happened to be Mother's Day as well. After trying to regain some of the sleep I lost from the night before, I woke up to wish my host mom a Happy Mother's Day and then go to my grandmother's house for a big lunch. Afterwards, I went back home and skyped with my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day as well.

This week I have made so new friends. I really enjoy seeing them in school and there is always something to talk about. They try and teach me words in Portuguese and in turn I teach them some words in English. I have also started sitting with them in my classroom and they help me understand some of what is going on because the teachers all talk really fast and sometimes I don't always catch what they are saying.

I also got to experience my first futebol celebration. Santos, one of the favorite teams here, won an important game on sunday. Of course Brazilians are known for their crazy soccer fans but from what I have seen its pretty similar to what us American football fans are like. They are just excited about their team winning and in turn celebrate. My town celebrated by driving around in cars blaring the favorite music of the Santos team players and honking their horns, waving flags, dancing in the streets, blowing off fireworks and fire crackers, and wearing their favorite teams sports gear. My sister and I walked around town and watched all this and I have to say it was really great to see how spirited everyone was. They are not the crazy fans that you think and from what you see on TV but they are happy when their team wins and celebrate! Who doesn't love a celebration? I was happy for Santos as well because my family cheers for Santos but Palmeiras is my family's favorite team.

Also this coming month I'm going to start playing soccer on the team here in Palmital. I won't be playing on an actual field like I'm most used to. Instead it's more common to play on an indoor field similar to a gym floor used for basketball except the lines are made for soccer. I'm excited because I have missed soccer so much and seeing so many people playing soccer makes me really want to play. My host parents and AFS are going to talk to the team and see if I can join. Hopefully I can start right away. I really want to play and hey, maybe I'll learn some cool new moves.

Tchau & Beijos

Cori

No comments:

Post a Comment