So I've been in Brazil for 4 months now. It's crazy to think how time flies. I also have learned that I'm really bad at keeping blog posts. Sorry about that. The semester is almost over and all the semester kids will be going home next month while new exchange students will be arriving in August. There is going to be an Italian girl coming to my town and I'm pretty excited to meet her because I'm really the only exchange student in Palmital. Elke is going back to Belgium and Julian is going back to Germany at the end of the month. I'm going to miss them but I'm sure they'll be happy to see their families agaim even though it means leaving their families here.
On a better note, life here has become normal. I realized it a few days ago when I was thinking about everyone going home. I saw how comfortable I was here and how I wasn't ready to leave Brazil yet because there is still so much I want to do and learn yet. There are still places I want to go and I'm so glad I decided to do the year program instead of the semester. I feel like kids who only do semesters because of school or parents only get to scratch the surface of their host country. A year is so much better and so much more worth your money. Go for a year!!!
Events in Palmital: Festa Juninha! The June Festaval is a big celebration where every week during June a different catholic saint is celebrated. On the weekends there is a party called a kermesse at this large church with music, dancing, and food. People will dress is country style clothes also. There are special banners made and are hung all around the festeval. They look similar to the flag of ohio only shorter. There are even small parties in schools as well, usually celebrated on fridays.
Other than that school has been pretty normal. The weather has finally become "winter" weather. It's nothing compared to a Cleveland, Ohio winter but it got pretty cold. Equal to around 40 or 50 degrees farenheit which is really cold when there is no central heating or heaters at all to make your house warmer. Usually it will only be cold in the morning but by 11 or 12 oclock it will get up to 70 or 75 degrees with the sun shining. I know it's odd for some people to think of Brazil being cold but in Rio Grande do Sul it even snows sometimes! But I should also mention that people in Rio de Janiero typically don't own coats because it never gets cold enough for one. It just depends on the region of Brazil.
I also started playing futesal like I said before. It's a lot more difficult than I thought! It's much faster than I'm used to. I've gotten much better but still need some improvement. I have also been dubed the nickname Americana. Mostly because Cori is too difficult to say and the first time I went they thought I didn't speak or understand any Portuguese. So everyone there just calls me Americana. It's fine by me though. Its's kinda cool having a nickname.
So that's all for now on my life here in Brazil. I'm going to try and write more posts more often but it's hard to find the time to just sit down and type. If you have anything you want me to specifically write about, leave a comment.
Ate logo,
Cori a.k.a "Americana"
Hello Cori :)
ReplyDeleteI would like to ask you, how have you put the chip in widget on your page. I can only post it as a normal post, but I can't put it on the side, where you have it. So if you can help me, I would be very happy. Thank you, Eva
Oi Eva,
ReplyDeleteI got my chipin button on the side by setting the layout where I can place things on the side. Go into the settings part of your blog and change the layout however you like. Then click on the section you want to place your chipin button. Another small window will open up and it will give you a place to put the code AFS gave you. Make sure to save your work and then it should show up on you blog as the chipin button on the side. Hope this helps.
Cori