This past week I've been dreading tomorrow. All I can think about is going home and how good/bad that is. This week has gone so fast and has been super busy. Monday I went to Assis and bought some presents for my family. Afterwards I arrived in Palmital and Lucrezia and I went with my friend Bianca to the supermarket to buy ingredents for the italian style pizzas we were going to make later. I also bought some food and candy that I wanted to bring back. Next we went back to bianca's house and Lucrezia made the dough for the crust. The dough had to sit for 4 hours so Lucrezia and I went and did some last goodbyes with our Portuguese teacher and a friend. At 9 o'clock we arrived back at Bianca's house to finish the pizzas by rolling out the dough, putting on the sauce and adding toppings before baking them. The pizzas turned out great and they were really good. A little different than what I'm used to. Italians use a little sauce and very few toppings and cheese but it was still a yummy pizza.
Tuesday, I started organizing my suitcases which took up most of the afternoon. I have a big suitcase, a little carry-on, a backpack, and a blanket. Luckily for me, American Airlines allows for 32 kilos (70lbs) for a checked bag because my suitcase weight 29 kilos and 900 grams. I knew right then and there that I was going to have to reorganize a few things because carrying around a suitcase like that is awful. Later in the evening, I went and said goodbye to my first host family. They had asked for me to bring Lucrezia so I did. We stayed for a couple hours talking and then it started raining. I had come by bike so I was at a disadvantage in getting home. So at 8:00pm I ended up going back to Lucrezia's house to wait out the rain because her house was close. My older host sister Ana Beatriz took us by umbrella there. The rain didn't look like it was going to let up soon and it didn't so I ended up getting distracted helping Lucrezia repack her suitcase. This took awhile because Lucrezia's airline only allows 23 kilos (50lbs) and she had a lot more things to pack than I did. It was difficult and she joked the whole time how she was going to wear like 30 shirts so she wouldn't have to pay the excss fee. Lucrezia, her host mom, and I worked until 11:45pm fixing her suitcase, backpack, and purse so she could get it on the airplane.
Wednesday I spent my time fixing my suitcase again. Hoping maybe if I juggled some things around it would make it lighter, which I don't think worked at all. It was still super heavy. After a few hours of trying, I gave up. I had found a few more things that I couldn't pack in my suitcase that my other family had given me so I went to return them and ended up staying to help make churros. Afterwards I went and returned my bike and said my good byes to Lucrezia. I would see her tomorrow but still. I also returned my bike that I had borrowed. I had it fixed up because I used that bike for everything and I had run it down so the next person will have a great bike. Next, I went home and got ready to go out with my friends. They invited me to go out to eat and we went to eat hot dogs. It was a great night. Almost all my friends were there from my class and we were talking and joking. It was so much fun. I knew I was going to miss them all so much.
Thursday morning I went and met Lucrezia at the bus station. She said she wouldn't cry but she ended up crying which made me and her host mom and her other mom cry. Afterwards we got in touch with one of the taxis to pick me up the next morning because my brother was leaving for work and therefore had to take the car leaving us without one. The taxi driver agreed and promised to be there the next morning. The rest of the day was spent around the house reorganizing my suitcase, throwing away trash, and deciding what I needed to take with me the next morning. I spent the rest of the time with my family just hanging around the house because there wasn't anything else to do and I wanted my last day to be with my family. I also made pancakes for dinner for my family to try with the maple syrup I brought for the for Christmas. Now every time I've made pancakes, they always come out really thick no matter how much milk I add. So I have to squish them down or the inside stays liquid. I think it must be something with the the difference in ingredients. Now Brasil does make pancakes but they are very thin, very similar to french crepes, and they come in sweet/doce (with dessert items) or salty/salgado(not actually salty but you eat them with meat and a sauce. The name just doesn't translate into something in English). I wasn't sure what my family would think because its not something they have in Brasil and so far my success rate is 50/50. They actually liked it and didn't think it was super sweet which is what they thought before they tried them and I thought they would think. If that makes sense. They like the maple syrup as well. It was a cool bonding moment with my family. So that was my last week in Brasil.
I think I will make the next day it's own post because otherwise this post will be too long filled with emotions and what happened and it was an important moment in my life and it deserves to be acknowledged separate.
No comments:
Post a Comment